Friday 8 June 2012

American food compared to my British tastes

One of the great things about America is the fast food, it’s what they have given to the cuisine world and have mastered down to a fine art. The rest of the world is following suit so you really have to travel with intent to not see a McDonald’s, outside the pyramids in Egypt is a Pizza Hut (located above the KFC!),  a Starbucks (not strictly fast food but fast drink) at the Great Wall Of China and even a McDonald’s on the hallowed grounds of the Louvre in Paris (the French did petition against it but eventually gave in, some things never change) and surely it’s only a matter of time before Burger ‘King’ opens outside Buckingham Palace (I should trademark that idea). Who doesn’t come to the US and not want to try fast food, to see if it tastes the same, try new ones and see how fast the service really is?

   Over the past few weeks, off the top of my head, I have eaten at Pizza Hut, Burger King, Wendy’s, McDonalds, Taco Bell (They say that Mexican food is so good, it makes your mouth water. That's nothing, I've eaten Scottish cuisine and it makes my left arm ache), Hardees’s,  Arby’s, Tim Hortons (a doughnut fast food place….seriously!), KFC, Subway and Sonic. It’s amazing that each one can be uniquely different in such a fierce competitive market. First of all, the price of food is so cheap, for $1 (62p) I can get a McDouble, that’s a bun, two burgers and a slice of cheese (I opt out of the pickle and onion, I could make out it’s from amazement at them having to be losing money and them trying to recoup some of this back…..but it’s because I don’t like pickle and onion) and in a drive through, it’s ordered, paid for, received and eaten in less than a minute! Nowhere else in the world could I do this.  I don’t need to preach of the calorie content as we all know about this but any hunger pains can be vanquished in record time without having to leave the car seat, that’s incredible. Though we have the same service from the same people in the UK, if you order without the standard set-up, ie pickle and onion, it takes a few minutes for this to be processed. Cars can be queued for the drive through or a queue inside could lead back out the door but I know I’ll get a meal (I say meal lightly) in no time. There was a saying in Victorian London (due to the lack of working sewage systems) that you were never more than 3 feet away from a rat, here I feel I’m never more than 3 feet away from a ‘restaurant’.
   A good friend, Scott, recently came over to visit and made a good point, American food has a lot of additives and preservatives, a loaf of bread can last weeks and taste okay, a British loaf will last only a few days, he pointed out that all these additions to the food is what makes Americans taller in general (presumably Lilliputians only eat organic then). I still struggle to accept that milk bought more than 3 days ago is still ‘fresh’, even then I’ll add it to a cup of tea but I don’t want cereal (mmm….Lucky Charms) with the milk or even just a glass of milk. American food is cheap and it’s made to last, in many ways that’s a good thing but I wonder what an American would make living in the UK, having to shop once a week rather than once a month (in those little tiny Tesco Extras rather than a Wal*Mart superstore which has EVERYTHING  under one roof, beef, bullets, baseball bats and a new BBQ all in one trip).
   I do like the American diner experience, small town cafes have such a personal touch (and usually floor to ceiling in trinkets, posters or some paraphernalia, there’s always something to look at), waitresses survive on tips so they friendliness and over the top helpfulness seems a nice change rather than a grunt and sigh I’d expect in the UK, here in the States, after ordering a drink, it’s continuous free refills, before I’m even halfway through a glass of Mountain Dew I’ll have another on the table, it has a less commercial feel than what I am used to because of this attitude, I like that.

   Food in the UK seems a generational thing, there’s a lady over the road that’s 70+, she drinks Dr. Pepper (so misunderstood) and eats pizza, my grandparents would think Dr. Pepper was a new GP and they can’t even pronounce the word pizza correctly. Seeing older people drinking ‘soda’ seems odd, imagine seeing a Chelsea pensioner drinking 7up! It’s just not right. It would be interesting to have my grandparents to visit here, I remember them once cautiously eating BBQ food (they were adamant it was raw in the middle, no matter how well cooked) whereas here I’ve grilled out at least every other day, I have even bought a BBQ cookbook (signed by the auther no less) and it would be easily to fill a shopping cart/trolley with different marinades and BBQ sauces, though they have the right temperatures (usually too hot, I sweat more than Michael J. Fox playing Operation) to cook outside. Brits usually BBQ cheap Tesco value burgers or Asda own sausages (where there’s most likely more meat content in a Linda McCartney pea fritter), Americans cook top value steak, full chicken breasts and juicy chops, it makes a huge difference to the experience. 
   
   I’ve enjoyed trying new foods such as funnel cake, corn dogs, biscuits and gravy and Hot Pockets but still having the comfort zone of similar tastes, so much so I’ve put on about 15-20lbs already while being here.

No comments:

Post a Comment